RS

RSS Feed
  • Home
  • About RS
    • Mission
    • History
    • Leadership
    • Vacancies
    • Troop Numbers and Contributions
    • BSA/SOFA/Visa Info
    • Visas/Licenses
  • News
    • Transcripts
    • Press Releases
    • Casualty Reports
    • News List
  • Media
    • Media Visit Information
  • Subordinate Commands
    • TAAC - North
    • TAAC - South
    • TAAC - East
    • TAAC - West
    • TAAC - Capital
    • TAAC - Air
    • CSTC-A

Home | RS News | Afghan, Coalition Leaders Broker Peace Deal in Sangin

RS News

Print
Add to Facebook
Afghan, Coalition Leaders Broker Peace Deal in Sangin

ISAF Joint Command - Afghanistan
2011-01-G-045
For Immediate Release
Download PDF

 KABUL, Afghanistan (Jan. 4)
– Maj. Gen. Richard Mills, commanding general of Regional Command Southwest, started the new year in Sangin with Helmand Provincial Gov. Ghulab Mangal, leaders of the Afghan National Army, Afghan National Police and Alikozai tribal leaders to broker a peace deal in the embattled region in southern Afghanistan Jan. 1.

 “Local elders from the Sangin area approached Gov. Mangal and myself to discuss what I would term an important security agreement,” Mills said. “I believe many of the Afghans in Sangin look to successful areas such as Nawa and Lashkar Gah and they want that same progress in their district. They want schools, medical clinics, and the freedom to move about without fear of the insurgency.”

 The tribal elders presented the Afghan government and coalition leaders a document signed by seven Taliban commanders who agreed to follow the direction of the elders. In exchange, the elders asked that Afghan forces lead searches of area compounds, that all patrols in the area are partnered and for commitments for short-term and long-term reconstruction and development projects.

 “This was primarily an Afghan brokered agreement arrived at in close consultation with local coalition forces,” explained Mills. “It would allow for security conditions around Sangin similar to those already in place in other parts of the province.

 “GIRoA (Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan) security forces, in partnership with coalition forces, would operate in the area. Additionally, there was a promise of freedom of movement as we improve route 611 north.”

 The elders pledged that insurgent fighting would cease against coalition forces and foreign fighters would be expelled from the area. Mills made it clear that coalition forces would respond in force to any attack and would continue to advance into currently uncontrolled areas.

 Mills acknowledged the risk taken by the tribal leaders and his confidence in their commitment, although only time will tell if the agreement brings improved conditions in the region.

 “The insurgents have already begun to strike back savagely at those who desire peace, but so far the elders remain steadfast,” he said. “We are cautiously optimistic of this agreement and will monitor whether it leads to reduced insurgent influence and a rejection of illicit activity.”

 
  • References
  • Videos
  • NATO TV
  • NATO in Afghanistan
  • JFC Brunssum
  • SHAPE
  • Archives
  • NIC
  • NATO Support Agency
  • Return to Hope
Afghan Tactical Air Controllers conduct live-fire training
RS celebrates ANDSF graduates of Spectrum Management Training
New EOD graduates bring increased capability to Afghan National Police
From Afghanistan to Fort Benning: A soldier’s journey to Ranger School
NATO provides passport printers for Ministry of Interior
NIC recognizes NATO and non-NATO partners' efforts in Afghanistan
NIC banner Contributions - page Calendar events Watch Video
Disclaimer  |   Contact Us  |   Webmaster  |   Home  |  About RS  |  News  |  Media  |  Subordinate Commands